I spent another hour digging through the Selectric mechanism in search of the dropped spring. I know it is interfering with the tab and space interposers, but even with that clue I can't find it yet. Very diabolically hidden deep in the mechanism but if I disassemble enough to see everywhere I will have a ton of adjustments I have to make when I reassemble it.
NEW KEYPUNCH INTERFACE DEVELOPMENT
As of lunchtime, I have my startup dialog box that allows the user to pick the serial port working properly and the port open for reading/writing. The main window is open has stub menu items and lacks the status bar where I will display key information. I can't quit get the code right to position the status bar at the bottom and still see the main window with scroll bars where the cards will be displayed.
I temporarily disabled the status bar while I built out the code to open or create disk files, read/write them and display the card lines in the window. A validation routine will check the files to ensure that lines are not longer than 80 columns and that the ASCII characters in the file match the encoding method (e.g. BCD or BINARY).
Here is the UI so far - it begins by throwing up a dialog box showing the available serial ports and requesting the user to select one. That port is opened and communication with the keypunch will be established.
|Opening dialog box to choose a serial port|
|Main window (no file open at this time)|
|Options menu to select the encoding of the ASCII text file|
|File open dialog box to select a file that will be punched onto cards|
|File save dialog to create a file that will hold cards that are ready by the keypunch|
|Actions menu that controls punching, reading and the current card position in the file|
The encodings selected by the Options menu are used to do validation on the file to be punched. The checks will include:
- Card is not longer than 80 columns
- Only characters that are valid in the selected encoding are in the file
The Status Bar at the bottom of the main window will display things such as the current encoding, the number of card images in the current file, the current card to be punched from the file, and the status of the keypunch.
DATACENTER SHED CONSTRUCTION
The roof caps were also warped and amplified any twists that existed due to the warped roof panels I installed yesterday. I was able to get the first 2/3 of the roof line installed with a lot of wrestling, but the degree of twist at the rear is just too much to do solo. Once my son-in-law has some spare time, I can get those full screwed down. They are sitting partially installed right now.
I put on the front two skylights and installed the two sliding windows, so once I get the caps and their skylings resolved, the shed is essentially done. It has to be jockeyed into final position and bolted down to the wood platform, which includes shimming the front so the warped doors close properly, otherwise there is nothing left to do.
|Skylights installed in front part of the shed|
|Warped roof cap along bottom|
|Joint won't pull together due to warping|
|Clamp used to pull the warped panels together in order to screw them together|
Now that I have it closed up, I just need to shove it into final position, shim the edges to make the doors level and sink four lag bolts down into the wood base platform. Those are the only steps left for completion of the shed itself.
|Gap in floor panels, hope to minimize this as I shove the shed into final position|
I can turn my attention to lighting inside, installing the weather proof outdoor 220V receptacle on the side of my house, and building a cord that will snake out of the shed and be plugged into the receptacle on those days when I want to run equipment in the
I have to figure out a ramp to use when I roll the 1130 machinery up into the shed, but that won't be needed until the restoration is complete. I will move the keypunch and the punched cards and disk drives into the shed, since I rarely access them now, but those can be lifted up to the shed floor.