Friday, April 29, 2016

Finalizing GUI appearance for main 1131 screen, investigating Calcomp drum repair

SAC INTERFACE FOR ADDING PERIPHERALS TO THE 1130

Restructuring the GUI

I converted the main screen to a black background, to appear more similar to the 1131 display panel. I don't have all the signals shown on the physical 1131 panel, otherwise I would make it a copy. In addition, there are some signals that are either not presented on the 1131 or illuminate buttons near the keyboard, rather than light a lamp on the display panel.

I chose to use a black background, light grey blocks for labeling text, and the numeral as they would display on the 1130. That is, they are light grey if off but an incandescent bulb yellow when the lamp is lit.

The top row is the Storage Buffer display, showing the 16 bits of the B register. Just below each four bits is a hex digit translation, as a convenience for the user. The next row has the Interrupt Levels and the cycle stealing flags. Third row shows the clock signals I have on the interface, T0, T2, T4, T6, X0, X2, X4 and X6 as well as Clock Out and Phase A. The final row has the remaining status indications (reset, parity stop, and XIO E1) set up as if they were buttons on the keyboard panel of the 1131.

Main 1131 screen with a few signals simulated as on
I haven't activated the new menus yet that will allow me to select various devices, popping up a window for each as it activates, and perform other functions such as loading core from a file.

CALCOMP 565 RESTORATION AND 1627 CONVERSION

A reader of the blog suggested finding people who restore vintage automobiles and asking them if they can handle the drum from the plotter. I first approached a couple of services I found that did metalwork on aluminum classic vehicles, but may also check with the service recommended by the reader.

The first shop I contacted is preparing a rough estimate for me, since they think this is something they can do and would be willing to take on. A ray of optimism strikes my workshop!

No comments:

Post a Comment