Friday, June 19, 2020

More than 3/4 done verifying segment patterns for various codes sent to DSKY Relay Module

RESOLVING EARLIER ERRORS

I found that I had skipped wiring one of the five AC high lines that feed the five columns of relays for every digit, thus the H segment of the displays was not being connected to power. I corrected that and began to get much better results.

The sign display was not switching, which I quickly traced to my omission of the Arduino code to set the pins for + and - to output mode. They began switching just like the digits and the continuity tracer showed them activated or open as appropriate. 

I began to send unique digit values to all six positions, which flagged a wiring error in the cable from the Arduino to the transistor breadboard, where two pin positions were inadvertently swapped. That was set straight.

TESTING CORRECT SEGMENTS 'LIT' FOR EACH DECIMAL VALUE

I checked out all ten digit values for correct segment activation, including moving values between positions such as VERB to PROG. I was completely satisfied with the PROG and NOUN digits, but still have some odd behavior with the two VERB digits. Tomorrow when I get back to testing I can finalize those digits as well.

UPCOMING WORK

There is a fixed text/line pin and two grounds on the EL Panel that need to be wired, combined with the AC high and AC low outputs from the Power Supply Module and those connections to the Relay Module. 

I will set all segments on and check for shorts to any of the control lines, basically accomplishing the remaining checks to assure me it is safe to hook up the high voltage AC to the relays and make the entire display project work.

It shouldn't be long before I have the display lit and digits/signs dancing on it as commanded by the Arduino program. 

No comments:

Post a Comment