After I published the last post, I went back into the garage and made major progress towards restoring column 60 printing. I took the magnet assembly off of the magnet unit (yes, IBM named them this way). That had its moments, with several frozen bolts, apparently tightened by a gorilla. A couple required high impulse to free, delivered with a off-center chisel and hammer, but they came out.
|Magnet assembly after removal from magnet unit|
|The other half of the magnet unit, the levers that convert armature pivot to release of cam clutch|
|Magnet bar (not official name) containing 24 solenoid coils|
|Coil removed from core - notice dents on sides to wedge the plastic bobbin in firmly|
|The bad solenoid for printing on column 60, an open circuit|
|Magnet wire connection points have continuity - "Houston, we are go for liftoff"|