Sunday, December 13, 2015

Read in lots of cards for system load decks, donated 1130 programs, as well as scanned several donated manuals

SYSTEM LOAD DECK WORK

I read all the library routines for the full load version of DMS R2 V11, including all the COBOL and RPG library routines. I took time to organize these into the groupings (decks) that are punched by the distribution cartridge in preparation to do a system load. Some of the front end deck, the system loader in particular, is really chewed up.

The decks in the card cabinet had swollen considerably making it nearly impossible to remove as they were under considerable pressure. The team helping me retrieve the 1130 from its prior home had to dig some cards out of each tray in order to release the clamp at the end. Unfortunately, this section of cards was where they had to dig.

I will be able to read these, but it may be one card at a time after smoothing the edges as much as possible. The cards condition is awful and would have instantly jammed in any IBM card reader. Fortunately, the Documation with its unique feeding mechanism is much more forgiving.

SCANNING NEW MANUALS GIVEN TO ME

Clare Owens sent me a number of manuals he had for years, including quite a few FE documents that will be helpful to me and other restorers of 360 era systems. I began scanning these and turning them into PDF files. The first two, covering SLT packaging, procedures and SLT circuits, are now complete.

SLT Packaging manual

SLT Circuits manual

I have a handbook for 1130 FEs with lots of conveniently concentrated information plus some I have not seen before. Because of its small size and many double folded pages, it will take a bit of work to scan in.

Other manuals include MST circuits, 360/50 maintenance manual, some 1401 reference cards, two SMS power supply instructional manuals, and more.

READING DECKS AND ORGANIZING CONTENTS

I had received a second box of cards from a donor intended them to eventually go to the Computer History Museum but wanting them read and made available in the mean time. I went out to the shed and ran them through the card reader to capture everything. This went smoothly.

One deck is a simulator for a very simple computer that was used for education on computer principles, based on a book and paper 'computer' called CARDIAC. This program, SIMCO, implements the same instruction set on the 1130. I have documentation on the simulated computer but not on the format for input cards or any other operating and administration instructions. When I run it, I get no output at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment