I set up the contents of cyl 0 head 0 sector 7 from the archived disk image, loading it into RAM, and then issued a WriteSector transaction. The sector read back in without checksum errors. I ran the tool to ReadEntireCartridge into RAM and dumped both the RAM and validity check vectors out.
Unfortunately, there is a complication with the Digilent utility that does the upload and download of RAM. It advances the RAM address registers Reg1001, Reg1010 and Reg1011 while it loaded RAM, but does not reset them. Thus, when I thought I had dumped RAM out, I was beginning in RAM at the wrong point, producing garbage. The validity bit vector contents use their own address registers, Reg10001, Reg10010 and Reg10011 so that they worked properly.
I had to fire up the testbed again, ReadEntireCartridge again and then dump this with the RAM address registers at 0. That would allow me to post-process the file and compare the archived disk to the bitsavers image.
I found that the file read from disk was about like the last time and that the sector I had written was retrieved with zero errors, as an exact match. This completes the checkout of the new board, which I can now use in all further activities.
It is time to turn the driver board into a PCB, eliminating any point to point wiring. I will fire up a PCB design tool, draw it out and submit it to a foundry to produce several copies.
Tomorrow it will be time to resume studying the exact conditions under which sectors get a temporary or permanent checksum error - looking for anything that can be mitigated, corrected or anticipated in the pursuit of an even lower error rate.