Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Setting up laptop for private ethernet link to Cisco router

 CONNECTING CISCO 2811 TO LAPTOP FOR HERCULES SDLC LINK TO MVS

The SDLC (VTAM) version of the project is to connect my IBM 3174 and its attached 3178 and 3179 terminals to MVS running under Hercules on my laptop. This uses an IP encapsulation protocol DLSw implemented by Cisco that will wrap SDLC packets inside an IP protocol. This was used to route links to remote 3270 terminals using IP networks, with both endpoints stripping the DLSw and implementing SDLC links to mainframe and 3174 ends. 

The Hercules project implemented a DLSw socket on its 3705 communications controller emulation function, which strips the outer protocol and pretends that there was a native SDLC link hooked to the 3705. The other end of the DLSw link is the CISCO 2811 router, which believes it is talking to another Cisco router rather than Hercules. 

The serial connection on the Cisco router is hooked to my 3174 cable and speaks SDLC. My IBM 3174 thinks it is talking pure SDLC over telecom lines to a physical 3705 controller on a mainframe. 

STATIC IP ADDRESS CONFIGURATION FOR THE DIRECT LINK

I configured my laptop's ethernet port with a static address. It is 192.168.69.2 and it uses 192.168.69.1 as the default gateway for routing. Of course, the Cisco router is configured so its ethernet is 192.168.69.1 and its default gateway is my laptop's address. 

VERIFYING CONNECTIVITY

To bring this up, I have to boot up the Cisco router and attach an ethernet cable from it to my laptop. Pings from both the router console and from my laptop will show whether the IP connection exists. The DLSw link itself uses TCP port 2065 on both end, but that will be tested once I bring up the entire test setup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment