Thursday, December 21, 2023

Cords installed and holding; moving on to adjusting other functions of the 1053

SUCCESS IN TENSIONING THE CORDS

I was able to put the cords on the machine and apply tension. It is not perfect, a bit looser than the target scribe lines, but good enough to move forward.

BEGINNING VALIDATION OF THE MOVEMENT FUNCTIONS

The pushbuttons reliably trigger space, tab and carrier return activation, as a first check. I will exercise the machine further to be sure this reliably works as intended, one column per space and a full tab movement to the next position with a set tab.

In addition to the three functions for which there are buttons on the console printer, the solenoids can trigger backspace and index (line feed). I will verify that these operate as well as I can while manually cranking the machine. According to the manuals, a backspace only works properly under motor power.

ADDITIONAL AREAS TO ADJUST AND VERIFY

I have to finish installing my black thread for the ribbon color mechanism and adjust it so that the 1053 can choose programmatically whether to print in black or red ink. This involves fashioning a hook end for the thread and installing it inside the carrier to the ribbon lift mechanism. 

The remaining issue I have to resolve is the inability to achieve a +5 rotation. I suspect this is a rotate spring tension issue, but it may be some other adjustment. Once that is set, it would be time to run the machine under power to test out its printing and movement operation. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carl, What machine are you working on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob

      This is the museum for the Maryland institution. I haven't yet received the machine for the New Jersey institution.

      Delete