Thursday, December 14, 2023

Tab and return cords installed again but something still wrong, not holding tension

NEEDED MORE HANDS ONCE AGAIN

Adjusting the tension on the cord system requires that the escapement drum be held from turning, the return drum be rotated to shorten the combined cord distance, the return drum be pushed back against the rear bearing, the shaft that these ride on be pushed fully forward to remove play, remove the tension from the sliding pulley and then the screws on the return drum hub be tightened. 

The space where the return drum sits is restricted, where I can just about get one finger in to turn the drum and the tool in to tighten a screw. I don't believe that hypothetical additional fingers could get into the area at the same time. 

I did come up with a clamp to hold the sliding pulley all the way to the left, removing any tension it might apply. Then if I judge the cord length correctly, when the clamp is removed the pulley will be pushed out to the scribe lines where it belongs. 

I can combine actions, pulling the shaft forward and stopping the escapement drum from turning since these both happen in a different area below where the carrier travels. It just requires some care to be exercised since the two metal tapes (for tilt and rotate) run above the escapement drum and could be damaged while I work with the drum. 

Conceptually, this doesn't sound too hard. However, for someone whose fine motor skills were low on the bell curve, and who layers on the slight shakiness of someone in his seventies, this took more effort than it seemed. 

LOCKED IN PLACE WITH PROPER TENSION ON THE SPRING LOADED PULLEY FOR A SEC

I prevailed and got everything set up. The pulley was sitting with its outer edge right over the scribe lines that indicate proper cord tension. As I move the carrier by tab or carrier return, there is some odd clicking or stuttering around the tab drum and it released some tension each time until the spring loaded pulley was fully released. 

At this time I really don't understand what is going wrong to cause it to slip. Until I know the cause I can't correct it.

No comments:

Post a Comment