Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Whiling away the hours waiting for Visual Studio to install

CLEAN INSTALL OF VS AND PICO SDK - AN EXERCISE IN PATIENCE

I need a functional development environment for the Raspberry Pi PICO but after the debacle with AI misdiagnosing problems and directing changes to my prior install, I had to uninstall and start over. AI had me change the terminal type - command shell, power shell, etc - multiple times which impacts how each new suggestion works or doesn't work when typed into the terminal. It had me override so many things that I had no confidence left; it also would not configure to build anything. 

The MS installer was asked to set up C++, Python and the toolchains for devices like the PICO. This resulted in an installation of some 513 packages. I have 1G internet but the installer is averaging about 300K per second which means that 3GB of download is going to take a v-e-r-y long time. However, the reality is much slower than the reported rates. I am guessing that there is a big lag in starting each new package, because this has been running for a couple of hours and is only about 40% done. 

I then will download and install the PICO SDK which should be a much faster operation. That should allow me to build the example code from the carlk3 github that is cited by everybody and by all the AI systems as the most reliable means to accomplish what I want - to present a microSD card as a disk drive to a PC using a USB cable to a PICO that accesses the microSD card via SPI. 

No comments:

Post a Comment