The work involved in completing the tank consumed all my time for weeks, distracting me from posting as I usually do. Right in the middle of the effort, I had scheduled a helpful medical procedure but it left me dependent on others to do the lifting, further complicating everything.
We did finish construction of all the parts and modular assemblies in time for transportation yesterday. Due to the large size of the tank and the limited size of gates and passageways around my property, we built this as eight major assemblies which could be moved independently.
A crew of 5 people came to help, lifting and moving each section. The top sections were the hardest to handle - 11 1/2 feet long, 5 feet wide and a height that averaged more than 3 feet. In fact, to have the room to maneuver them, we first had to move the three bottom sections upon which they rested.
To allow for this, I built four tall stands which fit in between the top and bottoms, so that we could lift the tops slightly and leave them suspended up in the air while we removed the bottom assemblies. The first truckload carried the bottom assemblies, all the wheels, suspension boxes, sections of tread, the cannon and other parts with the exception of the suspended top pieces and the tank turret which was still being painted.
|Suspended tops, after removing bottom sections|
About five hours of work were needed to put it all together, the first time that it all could be assembled because there wasn't enough room in the yard space where we built everything. We had a few snags and needed some improvising. A few bits of wood broke and had to be repaired. Still, it came together in the end.
|Tank assembled in place|
|Actually half a tank, split side to side|
|Example of green screen photography results|