DOCUMATION INTERFACE DEBUGGING RESULTS
I first made the changes from last post - switching to direct port access for the LED and PICK signals as well as collecting all eighty card columns before sending the data up the USB cable to the host computer. Once those changes were working, I began the exhaustive testing of the various machine status indications. I see that most are working properly but the ERROR state is always on even when the machine has no error conditions active.
I don't yet know if that is coming from the Documation M600 reader, representing some failure inside that machine, or whether my connector, cabling, connections to the Arduino or other issue is responsible. Will probe the signal where it exits the M600 PCB and go from there.
I then tried to connect with Brian Knittel's cardread.exe program but it fails to connect. I can use the Arduino serial monitor or a serial terminal program like PUTTY just fine. At this point, my working hypothesis is that the error condition being reported is triggering the program's code to conclude it isn't talking to a real card reader. The error message is not clear, other than iterating on an attempt to connect and a report that the effort tailed.
Finally, I put in some diagnostic output so that I can verify that I am reading the cards correctly. I discovered that the interface is not seeing row 9 holes. Again, that could be a flaw in the machine itself, a cabling/connection issue or something else. Probing at the machine will direct me appropriately.
I first swapped out the CR2032 battery with the new one I bought and validated that the holder is reliably connecting it to the planar. I then brought up the system, cleaned up the configuration corruption and set the date/time properly.
My boot up of the OS/2 instance worked - the P390 panel showed up with all the programs ready to use. I configure it for an MVS 3.8 and a VM/370 instance at different times and started up the systems. I ran far enough with those to feel comfortable with the state of my P390 system.
Later I will make use of the Diagnostic diskette and fully check out the card, but for now my working assumption is that I survived the tipover with no lasting damage other than to sheet metal.
Eventually, I want to enhance this system with other cards to broaden its functionality. I have a WAN card that I hope will give me an SDLC link to my 3174 controller and 3178/3179 glass terminals. I also have a 390 channel card that would give me bus and tag connectivity to real 360/370 style peripherals. Finally, I need to get my SCSI 9 track tape drive connected and working as a pretend 3420 drive.