I spent a week chasing inexplicable behavior in the tool, such as the stalling of the WriteEntireCartridge process after the first sectors. I kept exposing signals to external pins and LEDs to see what was happening, until I found the state machine for matching sectors was hung up.
It has six states, two of which are single cycle advances to provide a short pause. I saw that the machine was not in any of the four longer term states. I then added the two short term states to the LEDs. That would either show it stalling in those one-cycle states or more likely getting wedged into an invalid state value that was none of the above.
However, with the six states displayed on the LEDs, it worked properly. I was able to write disk images to our scratch disk cartridge, first booting up and verifying the games.dsk image from Bitsavers.org and then the xmsmall.dsk image.
We took some time to play with Smalltalk, using the latter image, hoping to end up with a compelling brief demo to use on a video and at our upcoming VCF West appearance. We did find that this disk had very little free room, causing some out-of-space conditions as we played.
After we were finally sated on that, I wanted to test out the ReadEntireCartridge function using the Smalltalk cartridge which I could compare to the xmsmall.dsk image from which it was written.
The file I uploaded did not match well at all, which indicates problems in the reading function. My suspicion was that my timing was now off and I was encountering checksum errors as evidence of that bit shifting. To see this, I exposed the header, label and data checksum state bits on three LEDs and resynthesized.
Aaarrrgh. Once again the unit was stalling after reading one sector. When I pushed button 2 to command a seek back to cylinder zero, it triggered the ReadEntireCartridge state machine to start advancing through cylinders but while I was simultaneously triggering seeks.
At this point, I will have to look over my design and find ways to 'bullet-proof' the state machines. There are techniques, for example, to manually specify the encoding of the various states in the state register for a machine, so that I can ensure the register won't glitch into an undefined state. This is my homework assignment for the week.
CHM 1401 RESTORATION
The 1406 memory cabinet power supply remains out of commission. It is a 30V, 7A supply that uses a regulator card to adjust the output to a setpoint from a potentiometer, but the circuit is not regulating. We have swapped all of the transistors and checked just about everything we could think of.
I have a few more tests to attempt on Monday or Wednesday, then we may be forced to pull a power supply from a spare 1406 that we have in the warehouse.
DIGIBARN XEROX ALTO RESTORATION
We put in another full day working on the remaining bad power supply for the Digibarn Alto. It is the unit that supplies 5V for the main logic. Actually, this is a dual 5V supply, one providing high current and another providing a low current second 5V source. Neither supply inside the box is working.
Previously we had identified four bad large electrolytic capacitors and replaced them, found and replaced two silicon rectifier diodes that were blowing the PS fuse, then realized that the 18V and 5V internal power to the power supply circuitry was missing.
Today, we removed and checked the 18V voltage regulator (LM7818 chip) which was good. We then chased down a short to a section of the machine, applied controlled current to that line until we found smoke coming out of a tantalum capacitor.
Replacing that capacitor allowed the power supply to develop its internal 18V and 5V power, but it was still not delivering any output from the unit on either primary or secondary sides. We found a smaller electrolytic inside that was also bad and replaced that by 5PM. Still no output.
Marc continued that evening after Ken and I left. He hunted for and found the 23KHz chopper signal on one side, which was being blocked from driving the rest of the circuitry by a NAND gate. Note that there are no schematics for these supplies available, so that figuring out what is going on is notably harder than a normal diagnosis process.
Marc lifted the regulation line, which is what kept it cut off, seeing some unregulated voltage develop on the primary side. Secondary side is still dead. While working on this, something else failed, likely another tantalum somewhere but alternatively a failing diode or other semiconductor. The power supply is back to blowing 12A fuses.
At this point, the effort required (16 hours so far) is getting out of proportion to the value of continuing to restore this particular machine. It had many bad power supplies, as were most of the spare supplies that Bruce had available. The Alto itself is missing one logic board and one cable, at least.
The monitor was not compatible with the Alto at all, thus had never worked together as a system. The disk drive had a label inside - "smoked" - thus of suspect condition. The spare logic boards he was given with the donation contains missing chips, burned sections and other signs that they are non-working items.
This machine is a great artifact and static exhibit, but is appearing to be a collection of broken parts pulled from working systems and donated to Digibarn. That would imply extraordinary time will be needed to find and repair, if possible, all the nonworking parts that were assembled to make up this artifact.
We are therefore coming to the conclusion that this is a poor candidate for restoration and a bad use of our time, compared to restoring other machines such as the exhibit in the Xerox PARC lobby that were clearly working at shutdown or units at CHM not already restored by Al Kossow. We will finalize a decision within a week.