Sunday, December 15, 2019

Single shot chip takes a dive - not so amusing distraction

MYSTERY FAILURE OF CLOCK TRIGGER CIRCUIT

The following circuit is given a set of pulses with a 60Hz rate, which should produce properly shaped on and off times to feed into a 'ready for movement' latch elsewhere on the board. I found an unvarying high clock signal on the 'ready for movement' latch and traced back through the circuit to understand where it was failing.

Clock shaping circuit
The input pin 4 on the left receives the 60Hz square wave signal. It should produce an inverted clock out of pin 9 on the right, but all I had was a steady logic level. First up I checked the existence of +5 on pin 16 and ground on pin 8. Next I verified the input was good on pin 4.

The two reset pins, 3 and 13, should be held high and have continuity to pin 5. Check. All other components, two capacitors and two resistors, were wired properly. . I decided to beep out the entire circuit, just to be sure the diagram was accurate since I found the added 1K resistor R68 during prior explorations of the board. Unfortunately, the conclusion is that the 96L02 chip has failed. Valid +5V on pin 5 and square wave input on pin 4, but no action on pins 1, 2 or the outputs 6 and 7.

Time to buy a replacement, however there are none at Anchor or the usual online retails like Digikey and Mouser. Ebay purchase will add at least a week delay, thus hoping to find a faster alternative I started hunting other retailers. I found Vetco in Washington state who sold me one with USPS flat rate envelope delivery which ought to get it to me later this week

No comments:

Post a Comment