Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Minor issue spotted and corrected

 ONE OBSERVED ISSUE - ONE LAMP DID NOT LIGHT

Lamp Test failed for the Accumulator Extension Register bit 10 position. It was not the bulb, thus I needed to inspect this further and repair whatever is wrong. It wouldn't light with either the Lamp Test activated nor with a +3V signal on the input pin. 

That suggested that my problem was likely another bad solder joint. Having selected 2 ounce copper pour for my PCB, I had to deal with the higher thermal mass of the pads. It took a longer time applying heat for the pad to flow solder, while the gate lead of the thyristor would flow much earlier. I ended up with a couple of heaps on the component lead that didn't attach to the pad underneath.

Reflowing the joint fixed the problem immediately. I verified that both the signal input pin and the Lamp Test control would cause it to light.

No comments:

Post a Comment