Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Existing CARDREAD.EXE can communicate to Arduino interface with bootloader removed

 LOADING SKETCH WITHOUT THE BOOTLOADER

The Arduino IDE includes a sketch that will turn an Arduino into a programmer that can load the flash memory of another (target) Arduino with a sketch. The two are wired up with their SPI interfaces connected, such that the 'programming' Arduino will reset the 'target' and transfer an incoming sketch into its flash. It is possible to load the sketch without any bootloader on the 'target' system. In that way, the sketch begins execution almost instantly.

RESULTS AT HOME WITH THE ARDUINO INTERFACE

I loaded my interface controller sketch into my Arduino using the method above, then started up the CARDREAD.EXE application pointing at the COM port to my Arduino. The app connected and was happily exchanging status requests with my controller. 

I used various jumpers on the Arduino to alter various status signals, which were then correctly represented on the GUI of the application. I feel that this will permit me to connect the Documation reader to my controller using this method of installing a sketch without a bootloader. I intend to test the reader tomorrow using the existing Windows application. 

No comments:

Post a Comment