Saturday, November 12, 2022

Hurricane Nicole now in the rear view mirror; tweaking simulation and nailing the reset and startup sequences with refactored design

HURRICANE NICOLE VISITED UNEXPECTEDLY

A rare November hurricane formed with little warning and was upon us midweek. It reached Category 1 intensity, windspeeds around 70 mph and made landfall approximately 40 miles south of me. The experience was similar to Ian, which while it had been more intense when it first made landfall in the gulf side of the state, was down to Cat 1 by the time it passed over us last month. 

Zero water or damage to the workshop and its computers, zero damage to my condo. Water flying at the windows with gusts to 85 mph finds its way through even the best sealing, such that I had maybe two quarts of water puddling on the tile along the ocean side windows. A few towels soaked that all up and all was well. 

The beach in front of my building did get pounded. Lots of erosion. My building has a very high seawall so that even with a full moon, high tide and six foot storm surge, no water made it up to the ground level or the garages. The sand down on the beach was vacuumed away, however. There is a plan to dredge up sand and reestablish the beaches all along the coast here, although not instantly. 

Also the crashing waves, coming sideways due to the rotating hurricane winds, did smash up most of the wood stairways that lead down to the beach. All 12 of the public access walkways in our town, for example, were damaged and impassible. My building used to have a stairway, too, but all we have now is a 'diving platform' looking down to the sand below. 

IMPROVED MY SIMULATION WITH RANDOM TIME DELAYS

Since the major issue to validate is how my logic performs with the SPI link which is driven by the Arduino completely unrelated to any of my clocks or logic, I made use of a random number generator for the testbench which varies the timing of the bytes which I present to the FPGA simulating the Arduino. 

NAILED DOWN STARTUP/RESET TIMING WITH SIMULATION

Using the post-implementation simulation, modeling the actual structure of logic cells and routing from my design, I was able to spot and repair some weaknesses in the relative timing of starting various state machines and the initialization of the memory interface and FIFO IP that I am using. 

No comments:

Post a Comment