Thursday, July 9, 2015

Back and staring on the disk drive debugging

Just got back tonight from my travels this week. Now to play with the 1130 and related toys again.

PERTEC D3422 DRIVE RESTORATION

A fellow enthusiast who has past experience restoring and working with this disk drive has shared some materials and tips with me! I am just digesting what I found right now, after which I will likely have a few more questions. All that must wait until I have the power supply repaired.

For the power supply issue I am debugging, as far as I can see from the schematic there is just one path for the +20V raw power to get down to the circuitry for the -20V raw input, where parts are committing suicide. Everything else is separated by ground in the middle. Thus, unless some failed component has created a sneak path down to the op amp and transistors that are frying themselves, it can only be a small number of parts causing the problem.

The transistor replacements arrived today and I soldered the part in to replace the burned out Q30 in the power supply. I put a replacement op amp into the socket I had installed, to allow quicker replacement until I nail the core problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment