Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Tested brighter 8610 bulb against 2114 - noticeably brighter but 4X the current

 ORIGINAL BULBS AS INSTALLED IN MY CONSOLE DISPLAY PCB

I have supplied the board for the IBM 1130 Console Display with 2114 incandescent bulbs, 6.3V 50ma parts. The total consumption of the board is relatively low as a result and the console lights show through just fine in a normally lighted room. 

ALTERNATIVE BRIGHTER, HIGHER POWER BULBS ARRIVED

In the same form factor and voltage rating, there is a higher power bulb - the 8610 - that consumes 200ma but is brighter as a consequence. If I used these exclusively in the console, the power requirement would zoom up to 232 Watts and draw a bit over 32A whereas the current bulbs would eat under 60W with correspondingly lower current. 

SIDE BY SIDE EXPERIMENT

I wired up one of the 8610 bulbs and installed it next to a 2114 bulb, allowing me to visually compare the two in terms of brightness. Indeed, the new bulb is noticeably brighter but it comes at a heft price in terms of power. 

2114 on left, 8610 bulb on right


DECISION - STICK WITH THE 2114 FOR THE 1130 CONSOLE

Because the brightness is sufficient with the bulbs I already used, I decided to keep them in the machine. I will make the additional 14 lights to fully populate the board using the 2114 bulbs. The 8610 remain as an alternative if I ever find that the brightness must be substantially stepped up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment