Friday, February 16, 2018

VCF and LCM in Seattle, plus work on a battery and terminal emulation

VINTAGE COMPUTER FESTIVAL IN SEATTLE

Ken, Marc and I flew up to Seattle for the first Pacific Northwest VCF show, taking place on the weekend of Feb 10-11. It was hosted by the Living Computer Museums and Labs (LCM) at their facility.

I recognized a number of exhibitors from VCF West last year. This is the first time attempting a VCF show in the pacific northwest, thus smaller than VCF east or west which were established events. Some new exhibits and interesting presentations rounded out the experience.

MAME EMULATION OF HP 2645A TERMINAL

The MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) software has just included emulation of the HP 2645A terminal in its latest releases. As long as I supply the ROM images captured from a terminal, it will behave exactly as the HP terminal.

This will be useful for the owner of the linux ncurses library code to test out improvements to make ncurses fully compatible with the 2645A. It has had support from termcap for decades, but it fails to work correctly.

It is also a nice way to test out the old games code that exists for the terminal, without doing all the wiring and setup to download the code to a physical terminal until everything is working properly.

REBUILDING ORIGINAL ROOMBA BATTERY PACK

I did a test spot weld with the nickel plated steel material and an old battery. It went well, but I realized that I have a bit more fabricating to do before I weld my new packs. The cells have bare metal sides, thus they will short out one I daisy chain them together. I need to cover them in a cardboard or similar tube to avoid side to side touching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment