Saturday, June 6, 2020

Testing mini-WASP in and wirewrap method while waiting for my plates to arrive

HAND PLACED CONNECTORS AND TEST WIREWRAP

Building connectors with the mini-WASP (MW) connectors consists of pressing all the individual female or male pins into a plate, drilled with holes in an array with spacing .125". I am having wood plates constructed to hold the MW pins in place and support my wire wrapped cabling.

The plates are not going to arrive for a few days, but I did pick up the supply of female MW pins from Marc and therefore could do a feasibility test of sorts right now. The individual MW pins can be inserted onto the male pins of the power supply and other modules. If I wire wrap these to hook up a minimal circuit I can verify that the basis scheme is going to work.


I wired up the Power Supply Module with its 800 Hz input signal, ground, 14 and 28 volt power supplies, the resistor that stands in place of the dimmer potentiometer on the spacecraft, and a pair each of low and high pins delivering the >250VAC 800 Hz that will illuminate the Electroluminescent Panel Module. 



The results were excellent. It was easy to keep the MW pins on the modules and the circuit worked as intended. I believe I will double or triple the wires wrapped onto the ground, +14, +28 and the four AC pins, ensuring that the 30 gage wire is not an impediment to the currents expected when lighting many segments simultaneously. This will be done when the plates have arrived and I construct the final connectors. 


No comments:

Post a Comment