Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Dopey toolchain design blocks any progress today

VIVADO WON'T FULLY REBUILD DEBUG CORES, DIES ON ERRORS

I took my corrected design, the one that put the signals in the correct clock domains, fired up and tried to debug but noticed that the app_wdf_data signal that had been in the general logic domain was still tied to the debug core for that clock, not moved to the memory clock domain as it should. 

I removed the debug cores and implemented just fine. I then redid the debug setup but when implementing it throws errors about missing debug cores. No matter what I do, it won't properly build debug cores. 

Vivado is notorious for this sort of misbehavior. It remembers things and has no method to force a full clean build. Workarounds require manual deletion of files, dangerous at best. I wasted the entire session I had available today fighting with the tool rather than debugging my logic.

INSTALLED ANOTHER SPRING AND TOOK OUT THE PRINT SHAFT OF THE 1053

The small spring I attempted to connect last time beckoned, while Vivado was busy failing to implement the logic. I was able to conquer the spring using many different tools and angles of approach. 

The print shaft is the main support that the carrier slides across from left to right, and it has a notch to transfer rotation of the shaft to throw the typeball forward when printing a character. The shaft had corrosion or hard crusted junk on it that was rubbing against the rubber sleeves and restricting carrier movement.

While I reserve the option to replace it with another shaft, I did use emery paper which is removing quite a bit of the coating and making the surface smoother. It won't remove every pit but if the carrier can move freely then I can keep the original shaft on the printer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment