Sunday, April 2, 2023

ARM TOOLCHAIN WORKING PROPERLY AND CODE COMPILING

SOME LEARNING WAS REQUIRED ON MY END

There are multiple ARM architectural versions that have different GCC compiler choices. The ARM Cortex A9 MPcore processors required a particular choice among the compiler variants installed on my system. That was the first information I needed to proceed.

Second, one can compile code to run on the ARM systems in bare metal mode, as an alternative to under Yocto Linux. There are two different flavors of compiler and header file libraries. Eventually I settled on the arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc executable with a proper path set up in my .bashrc files. That worked fine.

DIVERSION TO DEAL WITH USB MEMORY STICK MURDERS

My two laptops are in use as I work on this, in addition to the VMware Linux image. I use USB memory sticks to transport my files between the three environments. Earlier today, my main transport stick threw up an error saying it was damaged. Scan and repair didn't help. Trashed.

A bit later, a second drive I was using for transport choked with similar errors. It would seemingly quick format properly but then fail. I decided to try a full format, which froze. At this point, two memory sticks are ready for the real world trashbin. I have one working drive for file transport and a few new devices on the way from Amazon. 

CODE COMPILING CLEAN SO FAR

My code is compiling properly, leaving me free to finish building out the best test code I can before I fire up the physical board and begin testing everything out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment