Sunday, February 11, 2024

Adjusting the paper feed mechanism - part 3

KEEN EYED READER PASSED ON POSSIBLE ISSUES BASED ON PRIOR POST

Someone viewing the pictures I posted of the gap in the front feed roller to the platen passed along some ideas for me to check out. It turned out to be distortion of the picture, but he thought that the front feed roller shaft might be bent based on the photograph. I spun the shaft and checked with a straight edge, however, and confirmed the shaft was good. I checked all his hints but sadly that didn't get me any closer to the goal. I was hopeful and definitely appreciate feedback from readers of the blog; sometimes it provides a better method or points out issues I missed. 

MORE STUDY OF THE TWO 1053 PRINTERS

My latest suspicion is that the brackets upon which I installed all the missing paper feed components might be different between a regular office Selectric 1 and the 1053, which superficially appear to have identical parts. The three brackets remained on the 1053 when all the other parts disappeared, thus I didn't bother to replace them with the donor versions. That may have been a mistake. 

It appeared from a first attempt at measurement that the distance from the mounting rod to the pivot point on the brackets is shorter on one than the other, thus the pivoting parts move further, pushing the rear feed rollers higher as the machine now sits. 

I cleaned up the donor parts and held them in position, which unfortunately confirmed that they are identical and thus not the problem.

ADJUSTING EVERYTHING AND COMPARING EVERYTHING

I continue to compare and measure every part of the two machines - mine and the 1053 I am restoring - hoping to figure out what is causing the issue. I have ten manuals about Selectric, IO Selectric and 1053 adjustments, which I have been poring over to spot any additional adjustments or hints of any type. 

No comments:

Post a Comment