Monday, April 8, 2024

Cleaning the disk drive, a disgusting and labor intensive task, which is best done on the workbench

RODENT EXCRETIONS CAUSED SIGNIFICANT CORROSION IN THE AIR PLENUM

The compartment inside the drive that pulls outside air through the SLT card compartment and forces it through a HEPA level filter that directs the air into the disk cartridge. That air flows around the platter and heads. 

The plenum was apparently a very attractive home for the rodents, because they filled it with bedding and produced a substantial amount of urine over the course of their residence. Add in some nut shells and you will imagine what it looked like inside the compartment. 

SOAKING AND WIRE BRUSHING ONLY REMOVES SOME OF THE SLUDGE

I soaked the plates, which were the floor of the rodent residence,  in Simple Green for hours but the wire brush had little effect. After I got the first few layers off with 409 and paper towels, we got down to this brown cement that appears to be a mixture of rust and animal droppings. 

Once nothing more would come off, I decided to chemically treat it (Naval Jelly) to cover the rust part to a protective material. When that was done, I closed up the chamber for the time being. 

DID QUITE A BIT OF CLEANING SO I CAN GET THE DRIVE CLOSED UP FOR MOVEMENT

I worked for a few hours cleaning everything I could on the drive. The blower motor was detached but I have to unmount the blower blades from the motor shaft to get in and really clean it. The rust (from the acidic animal products) is making it a challenge to get these apart. I may need a gear puller or similar tool. 


I then put the drive back together, almost fully, to protect it from any damage while being moved but also to ensure that parts don't meander somewhere hard to find. I also closed up the 1130 for the same reasons, so that it is ready to be moved a short distance away. 

I have just about run out of time at the shop for a while. I have a long day volunteering at the Space Force Museum tomorrow, several groups touring the museum and hanger C but with the added complication of the last Delta Heavy launch bringing crowds and tightened security

Then on Wednesday I begin my travels up to New Jersey for the VCF East conference. My first time using the Autotrain, as I normally enjoy driving and like the control I have over my own schedule. 

After I get back mid next week, I have two sets of visitors which will command a bit of my time. Then there is the move to the new shop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment