|Backside of console printer plate with local modifications visible|
|Switch and light cover used on the local modification - to be replaced|
|New more consistent switch but lamp still to be replaced|
|Buzzer on right, not original equipment but will stay for now|
|Local modification wiring for the Program Start button added to printer and reader|
My sound deadening neoprene sheets arrived late yesterday and I installed it on the disk drive enclosure. Those are now installed inside the 1131. I was going to add a bit inside the Console Printer cover, but it has the hardest to remove gooey sound deadening foam of all. The backing plastic behind the foam is stuck onto the Selectric covers in a death grip, not possible to peel off long sections as with other foam instances. This takes scraping tools, pliers, and frankly more than an hour of work so far with sections still remaining.
|New sound deadening neoprene inside disk enclosure|
|Horrible foam encrusting the inside of the cover|
|The most difficult part of the foam, upper area inside cover|
|Some of the many printer art decks - Snoopy, MLK Jr, Santa and much more|
|SLT card and core side, compartment covers in place|
|Other side of gate, wirewrap and connectors|
|Compartment opened - core in lower center, surrounded by SLT cards|
|Two red jumpers in place, lower middle|
|Dangling red jumper on right side|
|Congealed grease, dried out belt material - typical of a Selectric mechanism as you will find today|
|Mechanism contains a degree wheel - handy for adjusting switches and mechanisms|
|Mechanism suspended on boards, a pan will go underneath to catch dripping lubricants|
|Broken plastic tape for color shift dangling down from top left to bottom right|
|Pulley mechanism for color shift tapes|
|Actuator at bottom with pullet for tape|
|Pullet on the carrier itself where the tape passes around|
|Top of power supplies where filter spanned top to bottom|
It seemed like a good time to start in on the 1442 Card Reader/Punch, because it would be useful to boot up diagnostics as I work on the system. I had some vacuuming to do, removing more of the disintegrating foam that had lined the inside of the covers. This foam did not have a plastic sheet with adhesive attaching to the metal; it was directly glued to the painted metal covers and thus is a huge pain to scrape off bit by bit by bit by bit.
|Foam remnants on the inside of the 1442 cover|
I see that this reader also has the local modification of a Program Start button, all of them wired to the 1131 main console so that an operator could push Start on the reader/punch after addressing card issues, just as they could push Start at the printer after addressing print problems.
|Program Start added to top right of panel as part of the local modification|
I finished off the day with a half hour more work, scraping out the last of the goo from the console printer cover so that I can add in some sound deadening. I normally wouldn't bother adding any back, but the condition inside with the remaining glue and goop would be ugly unless I put something up where the foam came off.
|Typewriter cover with the foam gunk removed and some glue residue visible|