|Terminal Block 2 - outputs of the 1442 power supply|
That means my plan to gradually increase the voltage was foiled, as I gave the capacitors the full 12V supply right at the outset. Fortunately, there was no immediate failure. I brought the Variac back online but monitored the 12V output to pick a point where the capacitor had only about 4-5V across it - about 10% on the Variac yielded this - and then inched it up in stages.
Once I had full line voltage on the PS and it was holding up well, it was time to wire it for its permanent input of 230V. I put all the PS output wires back onto the terminal block and closed up the PS enclosure. IBM's usage meter has its own power supply which had to be altered to change from 208V to 230VAC mains. There was a comment about the main motor wiring, but it referred me to the diagram on the access plate on the motor. When I opened it, the only choices were low voltage (115) or high voltage (208 or 230), nothing required to distinguish 230 from 208.
I opened the logic card compartment, removing the crumbling and gooey foam inside. I cleaned it off in preparation for installing some neoprene on the cover. There is an air filter which was clogged and filthy - I initially vacuumed the dirt off it but will be replacing it soon.
The three external card reader covers had the dreaded foam too - I had removed a lot of that foam before transportation but still had the tarry residue on the inside of each cover.
|Foam from top cover fallen into mechanism|
|Foam from another upper cover|
|Remnants of the fallen foam|
|Fiberglass encased in cloth 'jacket' - no crumbling here|
|Felt sound deadener - also no crumbling|
|Powdered foam everywhere|
|Getting into everything|
|more foam residue|
|Delightful gunk bonding with oil and grease|
|Like having sandpaper in the transmission|
I also began the task of loosening the congealed grease and oil in the console printer. When I began, the typewriter mechanism wouldn't rotate at all, it was so gummed up. I applied a good penetrating oil (Marvel Mystery Oil) at every point where oil and grease was used, which will gradually loosen and flush away the crud inside.
|Inside of the console printer (1053 typewriter) during relubricating|
|Hand crank installed into operational shaft (power section)|
I touched the escapement bar - the piece that rotates for a space operation allowing the carrier to move right one position. However, it kept moving right, which shows that the escapement pawl didn't snap back into the teeth on the escapement rack. Grease again. I need to patiently work the penetrating oil in and move all the mechanisms until it properly handles spacing, backspacing, tab, line feed and carrier return.
Once the operational shaft functions are working (and stop when they are not selected), it is time to work on the print section. This part has a clutch that is only engaged when a character will be typed or the ball is to be shifted between upper and lower case sides. Quite a lot has to move smoothly and restore for all this to work, so that will be another long stage of penetrating oil, hand cycling and encouraging parts to move.
One final issue I found, which I have observed on just about every real 1130 I have encountered in modern times. The type ball is 'frozen' on the mechanism. The lift bar on the cap of the typeball does not release the ball. The ball is firmly planted in place. Many of the balls had the lift bar on the cap broken because a user tried to remove the ball.
|Typeball stuck in place, cap broken off|
I picked up some air filters from a home supply store to rebuild my 1131 air filters. I removed the cardboard frame on the filter, which is 1" think in its normal configuration, cut it to shape and flattened it a bit to fit inside the 7/16" height of the FF-5 filter frames in the machine. The new filters look much better than the foam I was using before. I have installed new filters for A and B gates of the 1131, but still have to fix the Midpack Power Supply filter and fashion a complete filter for the D (core) gate - to be done later this week.
|Air filter before surgery|
|Trimmed section from the filter|
|Material being fitted into FF5 filter frame of the 1131|
|A finished filter ready for insertion under logic gates|