Saturday, July 8, 2017

Built RF amplifier to interface digital VFO to Heathkit HW-100 transceiver

ALTO DISK TOOL

I tweaked what signals are displayed on the LEDs and that show on the seven segment display, otherwise no change to the disk tool as it is simply waiting for the chance to test with real drives, disk cartridges and Altos.

RF AMPLIFIER TO MATE DIGITAL VFO TO HEATHKIT HW-100 TRANSCEIVER

The digital variable frequency oscillator I built to improve the HW-100 tube transceiver produces a low voltage output with 50 ohm impedance. I had tried to leverage the existing tube amplifier in the analog VFO to try to boost the signal before it is mixed with the local oscillator in another tube.

The impedance match is wrong and the tube really needs a larger voltage swing, leading to poor results as it sat. I found a kit by W1AFFL that will boost and match impedance to the tube in the HW-100 from the 50 ohm low voltage swing produced by my digital VFO.

I completed the kit in my spare time today and will put it with the rest of the HW-100 project to resume work in the near future. I have to concentrate on the relay tester, 1130 light panel and Alto efforts first.

No comments:

Post a Comment