Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Partially adjusted M600 card reader and resuming archiving decks

 ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE FOR THE PICKER MECHANISM

The procedure consists of 24 steps, setting such factors as picker shoe height, throat width, rest position, end position and vacuum clearance. Most are accomplished with allen wrenches and feeler gages. Unfortunately my metal ruler was back at the condo and not in my shop. It is needed for step A of the procedure and they should be accomplished in strict sequence.

Rear adjustments for rubber foot

Picker 'motor' (rotary solenoid)

Rubber foot




EXAMINATION REVEALS CAUSE OF CLANKING AND MISFEEDING

As I examined the machine to locate all the places that I might need to adjust and where I needed to perform measurements, I noticed that the rubber foot was not securely fixed on the shaft of the picker motor. It could slide up and down and the motor might not be able to swing the foot to the intended locations to make a pick work.

By simply moving the foot to a reasonable height on the shaft and tightening it down, the reader began to accurately feed cards without the clank heard previously. Until I have the metal ruler, I can't complete the 24 steps precisely, but it appears suitable to do archiving. 

FINISHED MOST OF TRAY 6 SYSTEM SOFTWARE AND A PRINTER ART DECK

Just to satisfy myself that it is working adequately, in the short time I had available I fed about 2200 cards of DMS system software and a 250 card deck that is some calendar printer art. The rate of errors was negligible for the DMS software but more annoying for the printer art, similar to my experience before the reader had worsened. With a proper adjustment it might work even better, but at this state it is still adequate to complete my archiving work.

No comments:

Post a Comment