Saturday, October 1, 2022

Finally back into shop for testing; fighting with the internal logic analyzer process

VISITING FAMILY IN NORTHEAST FOR TWO WEEKS, FRIEND VISITS, HURRICANE VISITS

I have been away from the shop for an extended period due to a succession of events which needed my full attention. First, my wife attended her 52nd high school reunion and we visited friends and my daughter. 

We had no sooner arrived back in Florida when an old friend of ours stopped by to visit. He is considering buying a large boat to live on, anchoring it in this area. We jointly investigated marinas and various boats until he left.

Of course, by that time Hurricane Ian had formed in the Atlantic and was headed our way. I scrambled to seal up outer fixtures and vents on my home, lay in supplies for a potential long duration without power or water and then raise everything in my shop so that any minor water running on the floor wouldn't damage anything.

I am relieved to say that both the shop and my home survived the passage of the hurricane's center only 10 miles north of us without any damage. Both the shop and my home have impact windows that should stand up to impacts from up to category 5 winds. Ian was nearly Cat 5 as it arrived on the gulf coast of Florida but had weakened to barely Category 1 after crossing the state to reach me on the Atlantic coast. 

FIRST DEBUGGING RUNS UPON RETURN

I have just begun to test again, attempting to use the internal logic analyzer functionality of the Xilinx chip to debug the SPI link transactions reading and writing data to the FPGA board RAM from the Arduino. Spent time banging my head against the table figuratively as I attempted to get the logic I created, the logic analyzer and the memory configuration file for the onboard flash memory to be consistent. 

What would happen is that I would see the activity going on but the logic analyzer insisted none of the signals were varying. I believe that I had them out of sync, thus the analyzer was looking at FPGA lookup tables or other resources which were not used in the latest implementation, given that the software makes those assignments fairly dynamically on each run of the toolchain. 

2 comments: