Thursday, October 20, 2022

Stripped down ram verify logic is working! Now to back port the changes to my main design

MY TESTBED, STRIPPED DOWN

I set up the memory interface and clock modules, two FIFOs just as were used in my full design, but stripping essentially everything else away. I will drive it with the four pushbuttons on the Digilent Arty S7 board, receiving feedback from the four monochrome LEDs and two tricolor LEDs on the board. 

I set up the left two buttons to access different addresses, writing a target but different data pattern to each. The primary location was set to x1234 repeated to fill 128 bits, while the secondary location was set to x5A0F repeated to fill 128 bits. The right two buttons triggered a read of the two selected addresses, then when the memory access was complete it compared the output from the read with the target data values.

If the primary location read did not come back with x1234, the left colored LED turned red. If the result matched, the color became green. The right colored LED would turn green if the secondary location returned x5A0F else it would turn red.

When the board initialized, all four monochrome LEDs were lit. Pushing the four pushbuttons turned on just the LED associated with that button, as evidence it was detected. Further, the left tricolor LED would be turned blue if we wrote the x1234 to the primary location and the right tricolor LED would be lit blue if we had written x5A0F to the secondary address. 

If the read was begun to either primary or secondary, but the memory didn't complete returning a value, the tricolor LED would be off and the relevant monochrome LED would be on indicating an incomplete read.

RESULTS OF THE FINAL INCARNATION

After starting up the FPGA board, I observed four monochrome LEDs lit and both tricolor LEDs dark. I began by attempting a read of the locations where I had not yet written data values. The third and fourth buttons did a read of the primary and secondary address. In each case, the related tricolor LED was bright red. 

This told me that I got something back, the read mechanism completed, but the returned value was not the expected x1234 or x5A0F. That was expected at this point.

I then pushed the left button which gave me blue on the left tricolor LED. I pushed the second button and the right tricolor turned blue. This was the indication that I had written the target data to my primary and secondary addresses. Again, as expected.

The final step was to push the third and fourth buttons. In each case, their tricolor blazed a glorious green as the returned value matched our expectations. Any number of reads would result in green status and I could interleave as many repeat writes with the left buttons without causing a red status light.

BUSY COLLECTING CHANGES

The changes are for the most part in the intellectual property (IP) modules I used not in my own logic, but without discovering the combinations of settings for all of them that would produce implementable and correctly operating logic, my own efforts would go nowhere.

The clocking scheme, the clock MCMM module and way it was organized was a key part of driving the memory interface at the right clock rates. This included as well a change to the constraints file to override an error that would otherwise block implementation from completing; that change was discovered from Xilinx tech notes after exhaustive google searches.

The memory interface too required its particular set of parameters. Since the number of parameters for the memory interface is large, in addition to the substantial number of clocking alternatives, I was not going to get anywhere with a random walk of changes. Sadly, there was no clear example in VHDL to follow either. Boo to both Xilinx and to Digilent for laziness. 

The change also converted the memory interface from the 2:1 mode I originally used to the 4:1 mode, which necessitated changing a bit of my own logic. When reading DDR3 RAM, the memory outputs eight bursts of 16 bit words for a given read request. Correspondingly a write will have to send eight 16 bit words to RAM for 8 contiguous word addresses. 

In the 2:1 mode, the generated RAM clock from the memory interface to my logic operates at 1/2 the rate of the memory. I therefore will be presented with half of the memory output in one of those cycles - 64 bits or four words, the other half of the eight bursts comes in a second cycle. My logic had to write the first half, bump the memory address by four words, then write the second half of the full burst across two cycles.

In 4:1 mode, all eight words are delivered or sent in one cycle, because the RAM clock operates at 1/4 the speed of the internal DDR3 chip operation. All eight bursts are accomplished with that one cycle from my logic. This was actually a simplification, as I had to only address the bottom address of eight words and send all 128 bits at once to write; receiving gave me all eight words at once. 

If I haven't missed anything else, I should be able to simplify my ram access logic in my real project, convert the clock and memory interface IP to the magic parameters, then move ahead debugging with working RAM assured. 

No comments:

Post a Comment