Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Second laptop also cannot generate the 'golden reference design'

WILL NOT SUCCESSFULLY GENERATE HDL FROM QSYS FOR UNALTERED GHRD

I moved to my newer laptop as a way of eliminating corruption or mis-installed software as a cause of the difficulty I had rebuilding the Golden Hardware Reference Design.  Alas this too failed to generate HDL for the project from the unmodified content I got from Terasic. 

We may have issues that arose because Terasic produced the CD around an older version of the Quartus toolchain, with the evolution of the tools introducing various issues blocking successful generation. If that is the only issue I suppose I could try to locate the older version of the toolchain corresponding to the Terasic demonstrations.

Another possibility is to look for a current GHRD design directly from Intel that presumably will generate on the current versions of their toolchain. Frankly, I just need to have the GHRD work before I begin introducing my logic and modifications into the mix. 

ONE ERROR CONCERNING NEED FOR WINDOWS SUPPORT FOR LINUX

I did notice that one of the error messages stated that I was missing Windows Support for Linux, which I installed from the Windows App Store but the error continued. This may be a path issue for the running software or a misleading error driven by a deeper problem. 

2 comments:

  1. Sympathies for your frustration, this kind of head-banging is very stressful I know. However, there are other SOC dev boards out there, maybe it's time to chuck this one and try yet another?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI David

      I worked on a Xilinx based dev board (not SOC however) for a long time fighting toolchain stupidity like this. Switched to this board. I can't spiral down an infinite hole of switching boards and toolchains.

      Yes it is frustrating when 0.01% of the issues I find are due to my design or errors and virtually all is battling documentation, toolchain issues, obscurity and poorly abstracted complexity.

      However, the more this happens, the more stubbornly I am motivated to get to a point where I am debugging my own design and implementation

      Delete