Saturday, February 18, 2023

Built header after sorting out issues and wrote program - issue in compilation

MORE NAME CHANGING TOMFOOLERY BUT FIGURED IT OUT

My Quartus install (FPGA Lite) did not have the command shell that comes with the SoC EDA, but it did have a shell labeled Nios II Command Shell. On a whim, I fired that up, navigated to my project folder, and successfully generated the header file!

Shifting names - Qsys or Platform Builder, FPGA or FPGA-lite - but I did manage to build the header and could move on to coding the C program. 

WRITING SIMPLE PROGRAM TO SEND VIRTUAL ADDRESS OVER TO FPGA

Altera/Intel provided a programming interface to control the hardware from the ARM HPS side, SoCAL and HWLIB. It took me a while to chase down the documentation of the interface but once I had it, I could work with the various headers and to code up my program.

I had to open up the lightweight HPS to FPGA bridge and once it was done, all the program needed to do was to pick up the address of a known word, pass it to the FPGA side over the bridge, and output the address to the console port. 

ATTEMPTED TO RUN MAKE BUT COMPILER NOT FOUND

I imagine this is more of the same, where the installation of the Windows version doesn't really set up the environment and paths correctly, but alternatively it could be that I need to fetch the ARM compiler and install it since this toolchain does seem to involve many independent pieces that must be managed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment