Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Getting close on tab cord and rotate spring tasks

JUST A HAIR TOO SHORT FOR SUCCESS WITH THE TAB/CR CORDS

I used the method from Phoenix Typewriters I watched on YouTube and carefully loaded the cords and wound the mainspring. When it was done I was left with a cord attached but too tight to fit over the spring loaded pulley on the right side. It is just a touch too short - if I had perhaps 3/8" to 1/2" more length then the spring loaded pulley would sit at the scribed line that shows perfect positioning. 

Tab cord attached with one loop around pulley

Cord too tight to fit on spring loaded pulley in normal position

This is the result with one loop wound around the tab pulley. I can add knots to shorten the tab cord but then it attaches without any loops around the tab pulley; that is likely to result in the cord popping off the pulley when the carrier reaches the left margin. 

Will study this carefully and see if I can figure out a fix that doesn't require manufacturing a new set of tab and carrier return cords to get the correct lengths. 

LOCATED SPOT TO LESSEN ROTATE SPRINT TENSION

Finally I found an opening where I could see the two objects I need to manipulate to release some rotate spring tension. The rotate spring is a disk shape that sits at the bottom of the shaft which holds the typeball. There are notches around the periphery of the spring and a detent that extends out to catch the nearest notch. This keeps the spring housing from rotating.

To add tension, a screwdriver or hook pulls the spring housing around, with one notch slipping out of the detent and the next notch clicking into place. To release, however, one has to simultaneously manipulate both the detent and a notch on the spring housing.

I will have to pull the detent away from the spring housing disk, freeing the notch, while the other hand controls the unwinding of the housing so that it only moves a bit before I release the detect. Then, the detent will have clicked into the notch prior to the one it had been holding. I do this repetitively until I measure correct spring tension of 2 to 2 1/2 pounds force at the rotate arm. 

THREE REQUIREMENTS FIGHTING FOR ONE SPOT

The gap through which I can see the rotate spring housing and the detent is small. The parts I have to touch are a bit deep inside the gap as well. This triggers the battle among three necessities to do this work. First, I need a bright light at the proper angle to shine down and illuminate the parts to be manipulated. Second, my eyes have to be over the gap so that I can see the parts. Third, two tools have to fit into the gap, one to control left to right movement of a notch on the spring housing and another to move the detent forwards to release it. These have to be fairly small tools because of the limited space.

My challenge is the conflict  between those three elements. The light has to be at the correct angle to illuminate, but that is essentially the same angle that my eye needs in order to see. Then the two tools and my hands will block both the light and my eyesight. 

I have a couple of USB optical inspection cameras, one of which might be useful if I can suspend it to give me the view from a PC screen instead of needing my eyes in place. If I can then work out a light placement that shines around the camera, the remaining issue is tool access and movement. I expect this to be a learning experience as I try different placements for everything. 

2 comments:

  1. Condition of the main shaft in the first picture startles me. At what point do you have to clean the corrosion and polish it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the reason I bought the donor typewriter. At this point the lubricants in the bushings slide decently over the shaft after I have worked on it to reduce the roughness and variations in diameter.

    The 1053 definitely led a rough life before I received the machine, but I expect to return it to good operation.

    ReplyDelete