Friday, October 6, 2023

Still working on 1053 character selection after a busy day at Cape Canaveral

ASKED TO JUMP IN AND HELP AT SPACE FORCE MUSEUM TODAY

A tour van was scheduled to visit Hangar C and the main museum at LC26, but the original staff who would have met them were unable to work it. I was called to head over, open up the buildings and deal with the visitors. I left around 8:30 this morning and wrapped up the tour support by lunchtime.

ATLAS V LAUNCH SUPPORT IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS

United Launch Alliance had an Atlas V rocket scheduled to launch the first two Kuiper internet satellites to allow them to be verified in space. Kuiper is the constellation of birds that Jeff Bezo's Blue Origin plans to put into orbit in order to offer a competitive satellite internet service.  It was scheduled to launch at 2PM, so I had time to stop by the base cafe for a quick lunch and then police the visitors watching the launch from ITL road. All in all, I didn't bet back to the shop until after 3:30PM because of all the above. 

REFINING DOOR MOUNTING HARDWARE

Having finished both sets of mounts and pivot mechanisms for the rear cover of the 1130 display pedestal, I did a test fit and wasn't happy with the operation of the latch. I switched to a longer bolt that gives more room for the spring loaded movement to release and turn the pivot.  

1053 ROTATION STILL NOT SATISFACTORY

The 1053 console printer is having issues moving the typeball to the -5 position. The ball stops turning around -4, when the detents lock the ball into its incorrect position for typing. Something is maladjusted but I am not yet certain of the culprit. 

When this is combined with the failure of the positive rotation latches to return under the restoring bail, I suspect there are multiple problems. I can't imagine how a Selectric mechanism got this far out of adjustment, unless someone had tried to work on it in the past and randomly changed all sorts of adjustments. 

Bottom line is that I don't understand yet why these two problems exist. I do have both my own 1053 and the parts donor Selectric to compare against, so sooner or later I will spot the critical difference(s) and then they can be corrected. 


No comments:

Post a Comment