Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Keyboard working properly, plus reasonable DSWs from all device controllers configured on VCF 1130

DISCOVERED THAT ONE OXIDIZED SWITCH IN THE KEYBOARD BLOCKED THE RESTORE

After cleaning the contacts, the keyboard does a satisfying click restoring every time the device is selected. I ran the hand loop and checked every key to verify the code returned. This is ready for use.

CONSOLE/KEYBOARD SWITCH NOT BEING SENSED CORRECTLY

When sensing the DSW for the keyboard/console printer device, bit 3 shows the state of the toggle switch marked Console/Keyboard. However, the bit is always on, regardless of the position of the switch. I believed I had tested this switch previously, so we might have a logic failure. To be diagnosed and repaired.

SET UP SENSE DSW COMMANDS TO DEVICES, GOT BACK STATUS FOR EACH

I believed that this machine had controllers installed for the 2501 and 1442 readers, the 1132 printer, paper tape and the internal disk drive in addition to the console keyboard/printer. For each I put in the area code for the device and issued an XIO Sense DSW. 

The instruction loads the accumulator with bits defined for the device. If you issue a request for an area code whose controller logic was not installed, you get back a word of all zeroes. On the other hand, configured peripherals typically show at least a 'not ready' condition bit when you sense their DSW. That is what I saw with the devices above that I tested.

READ THE CONSOLE ENTRY SWITCHES

I set up area code 7 with an XIO Read command and when it executed, the bits I had turned on showed up correctly. Substantial parts of the XIO facility are working properly on the machine, much as substantial numbers of instructions are working properly. This gives me some optimism that this machine will end up restored to full operation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment