Sunday, June 30, 2024

Using downtime to create SLT card schematics that I did not already have

HIT BY STRONG FLU TYPE ILLNESS, NO ENERGY TO GET TO THE SHOP

All this week I had relatives visiting and other activities, so I was quite looking forward to shop time starting yesterday. However, only a couple of hours after the last visitors left, I began sneezing, feeling muscle aches and fatigue. Not certain how rapidly I will recover, but for the meanwhile I can't do much except rest in my home.

MISSING CARD SCHEMATICS FOR CORE MEMORY UNITS

I have found several sources for SLT card schematics that cover a fair percentage of the cards in the IBM 1130, but certainly not all. When a problem exists in one of the cards that is not documented, it takes a bit of time to figure out what is going on and where the failure sits.  Fortunately, I do have documentation for the SLT modules that fit on the cards and can work out most of the other components, so the main challenge is figuring out where the traces run on the card and then what the schematic looks like.

I had applied this process to reverse engineer the 3132 card (ten inverters used to generate non-inverted memory address bits from the inverted ones that arrive into the core memory compartment). Knowing that the SLT module on the card is a 479 (isolating inverter, 30ns family) that card was dead simple to work out. 

I decided to produce documents similar to how IBM would (probably did) wrote them, using the other schematic files I have as a template. Each card is documented with three drawings - the logic gate view with input and output pins that you would see on an ALD page, an electrical schematic showing every component and connection, finally a physical layout of the card showing where SLT modules and discrete components are placed. 

Here are samples of the three types of pages:



To complete the 3132, I do need to get to the shop so that I can trace the input and output pins to know to which SLT module and pin they connect, then I can finish my documentation for the card.

SECOND CARD TO DOCUMENT IS THE 3467 READ/WRITE DRIVER AND GATE LOGIC

Physically the 3467 consists of pairs of SLT modules - types 4xx and 4xx - plus eight discrete transistors. The ALD lists the card as having circuit types T03AC(AND), T06AE(probably Core Driver) and T32AH(Core Gate), which can comprise both SLT modules and discrete parts. The schematic is loosely represented in the core memory ALDs thus I only need to work from the SLT module circuit and parts I see on the card, then beep out the connections to finish up that one. 


MISSING SEVEN OF EIGHT CARD TYPES IN THE CORE COMPARTMENT

I happen to have documentation for the 3466 card and will have worked out 3212 and 3467 as described above. That still leaves me with cards that have no documentation currently: 

525 logic and address bit 3,4,5 inverters

3475 inhibit and sense bits

3484 voltage regulator

3491 V-ref and sense control

3773 current control

4683 clock strobe

No comments:

Post a Comment