Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Work on the internal disk drive of IBM 1130 - part 2

INVESTIGATING THE REASON THE VOICE COIL IS ENERGIZED AT ALL TIMES

The internal disk drive of the 1130 has a disk arm that is moved by a linear voice coil, much like an audio speaker. It should only be active when the drive is attempting to move .01 or .02" at a time. The circuit will energize it in the movement direction, then switch the current direction to decelerate it after a tachometer shows it having reached a target velocity. 

This should be turned on with the falling edge of -Access Go or when the drive is first powered up. At power-up, it energizes the reverse direction movement causing the arm to move back towards the home cylinder (0) and that is turned off when the Home microswitch is activated by the arm reaching cylinder 0. Activation during regular operation is by -Access Go which is returned to high when the disk controller sees that the feedback from the disk drive, signal +Access Ready, drops to low. 

Inside the drive, the drop of -Access Go turns on the Go Latch which remains active until the tachometer driven trigger determines that the target velocity was reached. That turns off the Go Latch and allows the tachometer to slow the arm down to zero speed which will complete its movement of .01 or .02 inches (10 or 20 mil). 

I studied the circuit diagrams until I understood how they work and what levels I should see at all the observation points offered by the disk drive circuitry. I annotated the Solid Logic Technology (SLT) card pins that correspond to each observation point, which I used to investigate the reason that the drive was pulling hard in the reverse direction at all times. 

Example - diagram of reverse acceleration

Capacitor C1 in the diagram above is initially charged to +6V and should remain there while the arm is not moving. Once we are in the acceleration phase of a movement, the current from the tachometer amplifier lowers the voltage on the capacitor. When that voltage decreases to a trigger level that is set by circuits below, it turns off the Go Latch and the drive is in the deceleration phase.

During deceleration, the tachometer output drives the power amplifier to energize the voice coil in the opposite direction of which it was powered during acceleration, thus slowing the arm. When the tachometer voltage gets low enough, the voice coil is shut off and the arm comes to rest. The trigger levels were set to move the arm 10 or 20 mils between the acceleration and then slowdown actions. 

These circuits are almost all on card F2/F3, pictured below. The final four transistors are on card M2/M3. Most adjustments for the disk drive are made with potentiometers on F2/F3 and any circuit failure is likely to be on that card.

card in F2/F3

OBSERVATIONS

The tachometer amplifier was driving the voice coil to the rear because it hadn't been properly balanced to zero out when idle. I suspect that the dead band adjustment was also not correct. That sets the minimum differential from the tachometer amplifier before the voice coil is driven in either direction. 

CAUSE AND RESOLUTION

The potentiometers on the card are fine pitched - they have many turns to adjust from one end of the setting to the other - but they no longer have stops to indicate when you have reached an end. I had to take the card out and adjust the pots to get them at their halfway point in resistance. Since one of them had fixed resistors across it as well, I unsoldered it first then adjusted it. 

Once I had the circuit behaving well, producing the same low voltage on both the forward and reverse outputs of the card, the arm shouldn't be trying to move either way. These outputs are routed to card M2/M3 which have the four bridge transistors that switch current to the voice coil based on the outputs coming from card F2/F3. 

However, when I tested, card M2/M3 was driving the voice coil strongly to the reverse direction. With the inputs at the same level, it shouldn't be. That was the next candidate for debugging. Meanwhile, I don't have a good setting for the dead band yet because I need to arm to not try to move while I adjust it so that I can see if/when it begins to oscillate and back off the setting. That will come later. 

INVESTIGATING THE DRIVER CARD M2/M3

I pulled the card, which only has five large germanium transistors on it. One of them is used to select which read/write head is active, so I can ignore that. Each side of the circuit (forward or reverse) has an NPN transistor and a PNP transistor that switch +48V and ground to the voice coil, but the pairs are wired to inverse to each other so that a pair either drives the coil one way, 48 to ground, or the other way. 

I hooked the transistors up to my curve tracer to see if one of them was bad. The two PNP transistors performed identically and had good looking traces. However, one of the NPN was quite different from the other. I suspect that one, although the curve shape wasn't definitive. This is an IBM type 257 transistor

FOUND DONOR CARD IN MY STOCKPILE WITH THE TRANSISTOR ON IT

I did find an SLT card in my pile of spare and ebay auction cards that has the 257 transistor on it. I will pull it off, test to make sure it matches the presumed good one on the M2/M3 board, then replace the bad NPN transistor to repair the card. When that is done, during my next shop visit, I should have a drive whose arm is not activated when not attempting a seek. I can make the dead band adjustment and then resume testing of the drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment