Saturday, September 4, 2021

More furniture purchases but did find sources for magnetic pickup if necessary

 DAY SPENT VISITING STORES AND MAKING PURCHASES

Today we took care of the balcony furniture groupings and did some preliminary shopping for the one remaining bedroom dresser we will need. All this after I tested the two large televisions bought for the guest bedrooms since they had a 15 day return policy but our closing is more than three weeks away. In the middle of the day we met friends for a nice lunch.

EXTENDER BOARD REMAINS IN USPS VERSION OF BERMUDA TRIANGLE

My extender boards made it from Denmark to the US but have vanished from existence on August 30th. No idea where they are or when I will receive them.

FOUND SOURCES FOR MAGNETIC PICKUP

With an open circuit across the two wires to my magnetic pickup in the M1000 Card Reader, a solution depends on exactly where the fault is. If the inside of the pickup is broken and not accessible for a repair, I would have to replace it with a compatible part or a reengineered alternative solution. 

I was worried that such a part was specialized to Documation and no longer available. Doing some research, however, I found that companies are building new pickups of very similar design and specs. The prices I found ranged from a low of $50 to hundreds of dollars;  the actual cost would depend on which pickups have a small enough pole piece to reliably detect the fine pitched teeth on the timing wheel. Still, I can take the worst case scenario off the table - I will not have to scrap the machine as unrepairable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment