Thursday, March 17, 2022

Repaired 160 pin connector for 1130 extender, adding cable wiring protection

AMPHENOL TOOL ARRIVED TO REMOVE THE SOCKETS IN THE CONNECTOR

Because I had two wires tear out of the socket crimping on the 160 pin signal Storage Access Channel (SAC) connector, I had bought new sockets and the special tool that removes the pins and sockets. It has a hollow cylinder that fits between the plastic hole in the connector and the body of the socket or pin. 

Amphenol tool

When pushed onto the socket, it displaces some lock tabs on the outside of the socket that lock it into the plastic connector. An inner piston pushes the socket out of the back of the connector once the lock tabs are freed. 

I used the tool to remove the sockets in positions A1 and A2 of the connector, as those had no wires attached. These were thrown out and new sockets were readied to attach to the wires. 

Two broken sockets ready for disposal

NEW SOCKETS CRIMPED TO WIRES AND INSERTED IN CONNECTOR

I put the wire ends in the sockets, crimped them well with my crimping tool, then pushed them into the connector housing until their lock tabs clicked in place. The connector is now repaired and ready for use. 

Two new sockets are the leftmost positions

ADDED HEAVY RUBBER PROTECTION TO KEEP WIRING FROM CHAFING ON CASE

The many wires from the SAC connector pass through the chassis and can rub along the metal edge. This can expose conductors, enable shorts or even break the wires. I am constructing a sleeve of heavy rubber to protect the wires from the lip of the chassis. I will epoxy it into place over the coming days. I have family coming to visit which will keep me out of the shop for some time. 

Working on the rubber protective sleeve


No comments:

Post a Comment