Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Mounting PCB in 1130 Extender and preparing connector cabling for wiring to the board; IOB6120 board has arrived

MOUNTING THE PCB IN THE NEW CASE

I measured the spacing, drilled holes and attached standoffs to hold the PCB above the bottom of the case. I put it down and am satisfied with its placement. With that locked down, wiring can begin. The power supply needs to be mounted in the remaining space so that everything is solidly fastened. 

PCB mounted in case

DETERMINED EXISTING WIRES ON 160 PIN CONNECTOR AREN'T LONG ENOUGH

With the connector in place, the wires are very tight and many clearly won't reach the terminal block where they should attach. In addition, every signal wire still has a ground wire wrapped around it and those solder onto long rails that add more bulk where I can't afford it.

CAREFULLY EXTENDING AND VALIDATING THE SIGNAL WIRES

I added 10" extensions to the 36 received signals as the screw terminals for them are the furthest away from the 160 pin connector location. The 41 sent signals had shorter 6" extensions, enough to allow for clean routing. 

I soldered this wires to the existing wires and insulted with shrink wrap. The new wires are 20 gauge stranded wires that will fit well in the screw terminal blocks I used for the PCB. 

PCB FOR IOB6120 PROJECT HAS ARRIVED

I received my boards and can start assembling all the components on it. This board, the IOB6120, provides a rich set of Input Output capabilities for the SBC6120 which is a PDP/8 replica. It plugs into headers on the rear of the SBC6120 board, while the front panel FP6120 is plugged into headers on the front of the SBC6120. 

IOB6120 circuit board

I did acquire all the components necessary to build this board, thus acs soon as I have time I can begin to solder everything to the board. Another task I should add to this is the construction of a wooden case or purchase of a metal case to mount the replica into. 

No comments:

Post a Comment