Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Taking advantage of cleaning process to handle all my Selectric printer mechanisms

SETUP OF THE BATH, HEATER, PUMP AND SOLUTION IS AN OPPORTUNITY

Since I will have prepared everything to dunk the 1053 printer from the machine I am restoring and remove stale lubricants, it is an opportunity to clean the other two mechanisms that I have. My own 1130 has a 1053 which is in much better shape than the restoration printer, but could still use a bit more cleaning. 

In addition to those, I own a Datel 30 terminal, a product built to compete with IBM's 2741 terminal. These use the Selectric typewriter mechanism and were connected over telecommunications lines to a remote computer to support timesharing and terminal access. Just as the 1053 makes use of solenoids and microswitches, these other terminals use them as well. 

While the 1053 is an output only device - a console printer - the 2741 and Datel 30 are both input and output, having keyboards as well as the typewriter output mechanism. This is even more firmly frozen than the 1053 printer, thus needs a deep bath before I can get to work on it. It appears to be in good shape with intact metal ribbons and other parts. 

Underside of the mechanism

Top view of the mechanism

No comments:

Post a Comment