Sunday, March 19, 2023

Hail Mary, attempt 2 - install toolchain on Ubuntu Linux under VMWare on my laptop

MAYBE ITS JUST A WINDOWS THING

Layering Unix under Windows on top of the other layers of the toolchain may be the cause of this. I will shift over to a native Unix environment for the toolchain, although not the official Red Hat Linux they list under supported environments. 

VMWARE ON MY LAPTOP, UBUNTU LINUX IMAGE, DOWNLOAD QUARTUS

My second laptop now has VMWare Player installed and a Linux image. Initially I only had 30GB of disk configured, which was not enough to install the bloated Intel toolchain. After expanding the disk, I attempted an install of Quartus Prime. 

Fresh VMWare, fresh Ubuntu, but the Intel installer hung up at the end of installing the Prime help and couldn't recover. Happened twice after cleaning up the first try. Once again, shoddy toolchains become a major barrier. 

I guess it is time to install the exact Red Hat Linux listed by Intel as the supported environment, to give them the best possible chance to deliver a working product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment