Saturday, November 29, 2014

Beginning console printer disassembly plus more wiring of the SAC Interface Box

Two impediments to working today - heavy rains and a road trip to visit a dog we might adopt. I did what I could inside the garage, turning to some mechanical rehabilitation that was reasonable while shut in.

Due to congestion in the garage, wiring and construction projects are easiest to do by setting up a long folding table just outside the front of the garage, with the door raised, but that won't be much possible with the heavy rain underway.

Instead, I will drive over two hours each way to meet with an owner of a dog my wife is considering adopting. Our family dog passed away a bit over a year ago and she feels it is time for another one to live with us. Back in the mid afternoon, I could then move into the garage for an abbreviated work day.
Kerry, the dog we hope to adopt
1053 CONSOLE PRINTER RESTORATION

I forced myself to sit through the entire video series (Selectric Training) on Youtube, hours long, to be sure I was ready to tackle the replacement of the drive belt on my 1053 console printer. The course was released as audio cassettes plus color slides, which someone has now combined into a series of videos and uploaded. The narrator speaks slowly, which gives the entire course a plodding feel, dragging along but with short bits of important information sprinkled throughout.

I took off the front panel and cover of the console printer and prepared to disassemble the cycle shaft. The first couple of steps involved removing the cover over the gear and taking off the degree wheel that rotates at the left side of that shaft.

Covers and front panel removed, ready to start surgery

The cycle shaft is the left 2/3 of the picture

SAC INTERFACE FOR ADDING PERIPHERALS TO THE 1130

The skies cleared up late in the afternoon allowing me to set up the table outside and get more completed on the interface box. I have the hybrid solid/stranded wires with the crimp pins installed for all the signals and have installed the 12 driver signals from board three into the fpga connector.

I accidentally installed two pins out of order but I will correct this by breaking the joint and swapping the stranded wires to the opposite solid wire. In this way, I don't have to extract the pins from the connector to move them to another spot. They stay in place but are hooked to a different wire to the interface board. There was no more daylight at this point so I had to stop the work.

I have five more driver pins to install into connectors, those hooked to board four. As well, I have the 12 receiver pins from board three to install before this wiring is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment