Thursday, July 16, 2020

Another take on the status line data

EXPERIMENTING WITH VISTA 3270 PROGRAM

I fired up Vista 3270, an excellent free 3270 terminal emulation program that I used to connect to Hercules rather than the oec system. I looked at the status line displayed on the terminal window for another take on the status symbols to display.


As we can see, the symbols in columns 2 to 6 are the same as the BSC or channel attached control unit, but the first character is an M. The right hand side shows a lower case a but will change to an up arrow or a lock symbol if the shift or Caps lock is hit. It also shows a ^ if the terminal is in insert mode. The right hand numbers indicate the line and column position of the current cursor. 

CHOOSING A PERSONA WHICH DICTATES THE STATUS LINE

There are a number of potential situations that I would be modeling in my setup. 
  • Look like a terminal inside the data center, connected to a 3x74 control unit that is channel attached. 
  • Be a remote control unit such as programmers or data entry people would typically use from a location away from the data center. 
  • That remote control unit could be connected by BiSync communications or using SNA. The terminal may appear as a TN3270 connection made over TCP/IP directly to the mainframe. 
My personal choice is local (channel) attached 3174 and I will program in the status line behavior appropriately. I had also found a writeup of the TEST options and behaviors, so I will add that into the code. 

No comments:

Post a Comment