Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Still failing IML of the IBM 3174 with the replaced Gotek/FlashFloppy

IML PROCESS TO GET TO THE DIAGNOSTICS ON THE UTILITY DISKETTE IMAGE

First, the Gotek is set to mount the Utility image, which is image 1 on the USB drive in the Gotek. 

Second, I attached my 3178 terminal to port 0 of the 3174 controller which is where the microcode will communicate with me. 

Next, I held the ALT 1 button and press IML, which began an alternate IML sequence for the Utility diskette. A few buttons pressed to direct the process at my emulated floppy drive and the main utilities menu should appear on the terminal screen. It didn't and I got a failed IML error.

Selecting item 4 would perform hardware tests on the controller. Alternatively I can IML with other parameters to run the tests directly without requiring the terminal to be attached. Neither of these worked. In all cases, I saw the activity light on the Gotek flash 2-3 times but no seeks and the 3174 acts as if there is a blank diskette in the drive. 

NEED TO SORT OUT WHAT MIGHT BE THE CAUSE

I can think of a few possible reasons for the failure to IML at all:
  • Something wrong with my configuration of the Gotek
  • The disk image files are not in the proper format
  • The floppy drive interface electronics in the 3174 are defective
  • The RAM is defective in the 3174
  • There is a problem with the processor or other circuitry in the 3174



No comments:

Post a Comment