Friday, July 24, 2020

First try doing IML with the Gotek/FlashFloppy emulator

TEMPORARY POWER JUMPERS TO HANDLE GENDER MISMATCH

I used a couple of alligator clip jumper cables to bridge the ground and +5V lines between the two female Molex connectors, as a workaround until the proper gender cable arrives on Monday. They barely gripped but did make contact, permitting me to try an IML.

WONT HOLD POWER WITH DRIVE ATTACHED

When I flip the power on for the 3174, with the Gotek connected, it begins to power up and immediately shuts down. This occurs in less than a second, just enough time to see the fan blades stir slightly. I need to sort out what is causing the motherboard logic to cut off power so quickly.

INVESTIGATIONS FOR TOMORROW

I need to check the signal cabling to be sure that we don't have the grounds and signals of the IDC connector reversed, or some other cabling issue. The motherboard doesn't like something it is seeing with the Gotek connected, that is the primary clue.

Tomorrow I will verify the ground side of both the PCB card edge connector on the adapter and the Gotek pins that are routed to the edges. I will then check the ground side of the card edge connector from the motherboard. It is possible that I need a cable in between the card edge adapter and the Gotek to 'flip' the wires. 

No comments:

Post a Comment