Sunday, January 23, 2022

COBOL issue resolved, able to load the compiler on DMS

NO PHASE BREAK CARDS NEEDED, DECKS ARE OKAY AS IS

After experimenting with added phase break cards listing the official phase numbers like 51 but receiving a sequence number error, I went back to the decks as they were delivered. I was still receiving the checksum error message that way, but it had me look over the deck very very closely to see if there were duplicate or missing cards. 

ISSUE WAS CARDS OUT OF ORDER IN SEVERAL PHASE DECKS

What I spotted were a couple of places where a few cards were out of order. The sequence numbers might run 20, 22, 21, 23, 24 . . . and I guess the checksum calculations depend on the sequence of the cards not just the contents of the cards. The deck had two different places where cards were out of order. Once I corrected that, I moved on to get the checksum error on the second deck instead. 

Out of the twelve decks, four of them had cards mixed up. Some careful examination to find them and then resequencing of the images gave me a load deck that ran through to completion with no errors. I then ran the cobol library routine loads through the system and had a DMS disk with just the COBOL compiler installed. 

LOAD COMPLETED AND SAMPLE PROGRAM COMPILATION RUN BUT LOOPED

I fired up the deck to compile and execute the sample program they provided, however the IBM 1130 simulator went into a loop partway through compiling the deck. I don't know if this is a simulator defect, something wrong with the subroutines or phases I loaded, or there may be a configuration requirement for a 32K system while I generated only a 16K computer. 

In any case, I feel pretty good about the state of the compiler cards I archived. Once I have my 1130 up and running, able to use my FPGA extender to mount the virtual COBOL DMS disk, I can try the sample program deck on a real machine to highlight where the problem lies with this run I did.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carl! My name is Claudio and I´m in Brazil. Would you mind to share any of the 1130 software you have (any you have already available in computer files) with me? I´m starting to use Brian Knittel´s 1130 simulator and would like to start to improve it and make more software available with that. However, it comes with nothing besides DMS V2 and the FOR compiler. If you have the original source card deck images it would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claudio

    I am willing to share all the software I have captured.

    Email me at carl . claunch @ sbcglobal . net to work out the details.

    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have captured every card deck I had (quite a large collection) and some other files I have collected over the years. In addition I have many many 2315 cartridges that I intend to read and archive, which I will share once I have them captured.

    ReplyDelete