Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Continued archiving decks, only 1000 cards remain to read

 ARCHIVING DECKS CONTINUES

Having completed all 15 trays of cards, I turned my attention to the remaining boxes of cards waiting for reading. There were 13 boxes of roughly 2000 cards each left to go. I made great progress, reading 12 and a half of the boxes in just a few hours. The reader performed superbly, with one a few random issues (see below). 

Remaining cards to read are the top half

I didn't finish the last 1000 because they were badly warped, so that they must be fed in tiny batches after some bending and manipulation of the hopper weight pressure. It was very tedious to process another 1000 with the same warping and I ran out of energy and motivation to finish them up today. 

Bowed cards that won't feed properly

When I am next at the shop I will hand feed and baby them to get the remaining cards through the archiving process. The remaining deck is the Keyword In Context (KWIC) program that IBM offered to index files containing specific keywords, the program to generate the index is already saved but the IBM supplied data cards and examples constitute the remaining 1000 cards. 

VERY FEW MISBEHAVIORS WITH THE M1000 CARD READER

I was very pleased with the performance of the reader. Over the course of reading 25,500 cards and several hours time, I got one spurious Stacker Check/Read Check stop. The intermittent gremlin was quiet today, thus I postponed the disassembly and examination of the daughtercard until a later time.

I did see two occurences of another anomaly, the blower motor shutting down while the reader is in the process of reading cards. Without the blower to separate cards and grab the card being picked, the reading speed quickly declines and then stops. All I had to do was stop the read and restart to get the blower active again. 

This may be a flaky connection or logic issue, but I have only experienced this twice in the entire time I worked with the reader. It is easy to hear, correct for it and resume operations thus I won't be hunting this one down. 


No comments:

Post a Comment