Saturday, January 22, 2022

Organizing my various DMS load decks, ready to do restoration work on 1053 console of 1130 while using my 1053 emulator box

 ORGANIZING MY VARIOUS DMS LOAD DECKS

I have several sections of the card trays that contained cards for loading or reloading the Disk Monitor System, the software that controls the IBM 1130 system. I want to get the digital versions organized so they can be run on the IBM 1130 Simulator and work properly. 

There are also three other compilers besides the Fortran and Assembler code that is installed with almost every system. These are RPG and COBOL from IBM and the DNA Systems RPG II product. I want these organized and prepared for those who want to produce a DMS disk including those compilers.

I need to separate all the decks into each individual phase, 123 in total just for a system with Fortran and Assembler. This allows me to easily spot decks at different modification levels, for when the user is creating a V2 M11 versus a V2 M12 system. This is a tedious process to accomplish manually, opening large files and repetitively saving and trimming files to store each individual phase. 

IBM 1130 CONSOLE TYPEWRITER NEEDS SOME TLC AND RESTORATION

When I power up the IBM 1130 system, the console typewriter begins to take continual operational cycles on its own. This is either due to some spring coming loose or, more likely, the old lubrication having gummed back up over the time that the machine sat idle. 

I now have all the proper tools to completely adjust the selectric mechanism, items such as spring scales, Hooverometers, hand cycle tools, dynamic half cycle tools, spring hooks and all the special wrenches. Coupling that with my miracle Nye clock oil that will seep between surfaces and the old IBM lube, I should be able to get this typewriter humming.

INSTALLING MY 1053 EMULATOR BOX IN PLACE OF THE SELECTRIC CONSOLE

Since my typewriter will be out of the system, I could use a substitute to receive typed output from diagnostics and deal with interactive requests from applications. Fortunately, I had built a 1053 substitute years ago, centered on an Arduino with appropriate level shifting interface circuitry, that will communicate over USB serial to a PC to display the output. 

It has the three buttons that sit on the front of the 1053, plus the set and reset buttons for setting tabs. A set of 7 segment displays show the current column. Thus, this allows any action that could be performed with the actual Selectric printer. It connects via the SMS paddle cards into the connectors inside the 1130, just as the actual 1053 would connect.

1053 Emulator Box


No comments:

Post a Comment